1. Why should I migrate my BigCommerce products from V2 to V3 experience?
Here is why you should migrate from V2 to V3:
- Modernizing Tech Stack: Merchants implementing new systems (ERP, OMS, PIM, Marketplace Listing Tools like Feedonomics and ChannelAdvisor, etc.) want to avoid integrating those systems with BigCommerce APIs twice, once with V2 and then later with V3.
- Migrating to MSF: Merchants consolidating V2 store(s) to multi-storefront that requires V3 product experience
- Adding New Store(s): New stores come with V3 only. Merchants may want to upgrade existing V2 stores to standardize all store product experiences for efficiency.
- Better Features: For faster APIs, metafield visibility, ability to attach options and modifiers directly to products (i.e., no need to create Option Sets thus simplifying new product setups), new V3 only API resources like Cart API, Payments API, & Widgets.
2. Is my BigCommerce store eligible for this migration?
All BigCommerce V2 stores are eligible for migration using our app. If your V2 store has the following characteristics, you may want to contact us to help decide if this app is right for you:
- Option Set rules (must be migrated manually as there are no APIs or CSV exports for these)
- Product rules of type “Stop processing rules” (we’ll handle these in our next release)
- Products with options but no SKUs (we’ll handle these in our next release)
We currently handle items (2) and (3) above via our professional services team.
3. Can I run a trial migration first?
Yes, you may transfer your V2 products to a trial V3 store to preview the results of the upgrade to V3.
4. Do I need to put my store in maintenance mode during migration?
Yes. While largely automated, the V2-V3 migration process has a couple of manual steps (e.g., you must disable Google shopping and later click on the BigCommerce UI to update to V3 experience). We recommend you put your store in maintenance mode during the migration.
5. What do I have to do manually as part of this migration?
You must remove Google Shopping as a prerequisite for the migration. The app will prompt you to do that. At some point, you will be asked to click “Update now” button (see below) to switch the UI to V3 product creation experience. The screen shown below will appear in the Product Create or Edit screen after option sets, google shopping, and configurable fields are removed from your V2 store.
6. After migrating to the V3 product experience, can I switch back to V2 again?
You will have to contact BigCommerce Support for help.
7. How long does the migration take?
Depending on your catalog size, it may take a few minutes to a few hours to complete the job. You will be notified when the job is completed.
8. Do we need to contact BigCommerce support during the migration?
Hopefully not. After executing the prerequisites successfully (unlink option sets, delete configurable fields, disable google shopping on products and categories), we should see an Update banner in the product edit screen of your store. If we don’t see that banner, you must contact the BigCommerce support team to diagnose the issue and help resolve it.
9. When migrating products from V2 to V3, do you retain the same Product ID?
Yes. The app does not delete your V2 products. It only updates them. As a result, the old Product IDs are retained.
10. How do you transfer a V2 option (e.g., “Add Insurance?”) that doesn’t represent a unique physical SKU?
In V2, SKUs will be created for the following option types: Color, Size, Swatch, Multiple choice, Product pick list, and Checkbox.
When migrating to V3, we create SKUs for the following option types only: Color, Size, Swatch, and Multiple choice. Product pick list and Checkbox options will be set-up as Modifier Options in V3. In case your V2 product has Product pick list and/or Checkbox options and has pre-generated SKUs, we will not convert those SKUs over to V3 and will report those products so that you can review and rebuild those SKUs in V3 as you see fit.
11. Can you migrate configurable fields?
Yes. We delete and re-create V2 configurable fields as V3 customizations (i.e. modifier options).
12. How do you migrate product rules?
We process option rules as follows: Some rules are processed to generate adjusted SKU values (price, weight, variant image, & purchasability). Some are migrated as V3 modifier option rules. In V3, only modifier options can have rules. If you have complex rules (i.e. a variant option and modifier option are both involved in triggering the rule), we skip those during migration as we’re unable to figure out how much of the adjustment to apply to a variant option versus a modifier option. We will report which products have such rules so that you can migrate those rules to V3 products manually post-migration.
13. Can you migrate products with more than 600 options?
In BigCommerce V3, you must create explicit SKUs (i.e., variant options). BigCommerce allows you to create a maximum of 600 SKUs. V2 did not have the restriction as it did not require you to create explicit SKUs.
Our app reports which of your V2 products have 600+ options so you can rebuild them manually in V3 to comply with the 600 variants limit.
14. Can you migrate a product with SKUs that use an unequal number of options?
No, we cannot. In V3, all SKUs of a product must use the same set of options. We identify such exception products upfront so you can rebuild them either before or after the migration.
15. Can you migrate a product with a complex rule?
No, we cannot. If a product has a complex rule (i.e. a variant option and modifier option are both involved in triggering the rule), we do not migrate that product to V3. We will report such products upfront so that you can rebuild such products manually to comply with V3.
17. Can the app disable Google Shopping?
No. Google Shopping fields are not supported through the BigCommerce APIs, you can update products in bulk via CSV import/export to disable Google Shopping, using the method shown in BigCommerce’s Quick Guide. If you are working with a marketing agency that manages Google Shopping for you, you may want to contact them to disable Google Shopping in your BigCommerce V2 store and also pause any google ad campaigns while you’re upgrading the store from V2 to V3.
You may also contact our professional services team at [email protected] to help you disable Google Shopping.
18. Can you migrate customers, orders, themes, etc.?
No. Considering that the app is used to upgrade products to V3 experience in the same store, it does not migrate customers, orders, themes, etc. If you want to migrate your catalog to a separate V3 store, you will then need to migrate customers, orders, themes, etc. Please contact Our professional services team at [email protected] to help you.
19. Can you transfer my V2 catalog to a separate V3 or MSF (Multi-Storefront) store?
Yes. Please contact Our professional services team at [email protected] to help you.
Migrating from the Legacy Product Experience (BigCommerce)
Quick Guide for Removing Google Shopping and Option Sets (BigCommerce)